Already a member? Sign in
Part-time Outreach Associate
The NW Energy Coalition is an alliance of more than 110 environmental, civic, and human service organizations, progressive utilities and businesses in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia. We promote energy efficiency and renewable energy, low-income and consumer protection in energy policy decisions, and fish and wildlife restoration in the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
Energy policy is critical to the economic and environmental health of the Northwest. Ensuring that individual utilities, state agencies and the region pursue clean and affordable energy strategies to meet our need for power is a central focus for the Coalition. We drive home the link between electricity and natural gas policies and climate change. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the power sector is a top priority.
The NW Energy Coalition seeks to fill a part-time position (20 hours per week) responsible for working with the Outreach Director, staff, and members to coordinate Coalition events and outreach activities. The position will organize the Coalition’s conferences and membership board meeting held twice yearly, and conduct outreach to Coalition members and allies. The position involves frequent contact with staff and Coalition member organizations. This position is located in our Seattle office.
Principal duties and responsibilities
• Serve as the lead staff organizing regional conferences held twice yearly.
o Mobilize Coalition members and allies to attend the conferences and other events.
o Coordinate logistical details of the conferences and other meetings, assist with all efforts to publicize events, collaborate with Coalition staff to recruit and manage speakers and manage event day logistics.
• Maintain communication and build relationships with member organizations on Coalition activities and policy work.
• Work with policy and communications staff to develop action alerts, fact sheets and other outreach materials.
• Mobilize Coalition members for local, state, and regional public energy forums.
• Share in the administrative responsibilities of a cooperative and informal work environment.
• Additional duties may be assigned within the course of the work.
Requirements and skills
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline and one to two years’ post-college experience in a relevant discipline. Experience may substitute for education.
• Relevant professional experience includes (but is not limited to) work in event planning, organizing, public relations and outreach, marketing or communications.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule, and implement a work plan.
• Position requires excellent oral and written communication skills, especially the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
• Position requires good organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Must be a resourceful worker with a can-do attitude who is able to take initiative, follow-up and manage time efficiently.
• Previous experience with event planning is strongly desired.
Salary and benefits:
Salary $18,000 to $20,000 DOE. Excellent benefits include generous dental and medical insurance, 80 hours paid vacation and employer matching retirement plan. NWEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Position is open until filled, but we will begin reviewing resumes September 9, 2013. Please email a resume, cover letter and a writing sample to Gwen Heisterkamp at gwen (at) nwenergy (dot) org.
• Include dates of employment on your resume.
• Put “Your Name - Outreach Associate” in the subject line of your e-mail
• Let us know how you found out about this position.
For more information about the NW Energy Coalition go to www.nwenergy.org. Start date: ASAP.