Already a member? Sign in
- Sustainable Seattle
Public Relations (PR) Account Executive
Waggener Edstrom Worldwide (WE), one of the world’s largest independent public relations and integrated communications agencies, has a unique opportunity for a communications pro with experience working with issues- or policy-based clients or campaigns. The WE team supporting Microsoft’s Environmental Sustainability (ES) group is looking for an Account Executive who can move effortlessly between citizenship and technology policy communications and has a detailed understanding of environmental sustainability.
Microsoft’s Environmental Sustainability campaign encompasses the sustainability of the company’s corporate policies and operations--including Microsoft’s recent commitment to institute an internal carbon pricing model--and the role of IT in enhancing sustainability. It also includes Microsoft's effort to reduce its environmental footprint (greenhouse gas emissions, water, waste) on its campuses, in its data centers and through its supply chain and green IT, which ranges from using IT to address issues of sustainability to making Microsoft products like Windows more energy efficient.
• Drive day-to-day management of the Microsoft ES account, including planning and execution, and project management.
• Actively manage editorial calendar for the ES blog, including drafting and reviewing blog posts.
• Mentor and act as a resource to junior staff.
• Keep clients and team members apprised of broad industry initiatives and trends related to environmental sustainability and environmental policy.
• Craft plans and presentations, prepare briefing content and related materials.
• Develop a thorough understanding and knowledge of clients’ business and their competitive environment.
• Cultivate editorial relationships with key targets among sustainability and tech trade press.
• Prepare a full range of written materials including press releases, byline articles, client correspondence and reports.
• Strong working knowledge of platforms such as Twitter, able to write compelling blog posts and identify emerging influencers online.
• Bachelor’s degree or above preferred in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English, Environmental Studies or related field.
• At least 3 years of experience in PR, preferably in an agency setting and/or within environmental sustainability advocacy or policy. 4 to 5 years of experience preferred.
• Experience in environmental sustainability is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated client service orientation - ability to establish client and team relationships, provide strategic and tactical advice, draft and implement plans, provide thoughtful analysis, identify and pursue proactive opportunities, craft briefing materials, monitor coverage and social media channels.
• Strong presentation and research skills.
• Solid media relations expertise and results.
• Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task and balance priorities.
• Excellent time and project management skills.
• High level of initiative.