Already a member? Sign in
Solar Energy Intern
Northwest SEED is seeking an intern to support the Solarize Washington program. Our Solarize Washington program combines community organizing and a group purchase model to encourage widespread solar adoption. To date, Northwest SEED has completed 6 Solarize campaigns and catalyzed nearly 200 residential solar installations throughout the region. With support from Seattle City Light, Northwest SEED is launching a new Solarize campaign in South Seattle. As an integral member of the project team, the intern will work with Northwest SEED staff to engage South Seattle residents through grassroots organizing, creation of public education materials, and direct collaboration with program partners. The intern will develop skills in volunteer management, community organizing, and public speaking while gaining hands on experience in the renewable energy sector.
To learn more about Northwest SEED and the project visit nwseed.org and solarizewa.org.
• Facilitate a diverse group of community volunteers to select a solar contractor and assist with negotiating a group purchase contract.
• Engage community volunteers in regular meetings to design and implement a grassroots outreach plan.
• Raise awareness about solar technologies, costs, and viability in the Pacific Northwest.
• Encourage 50 to 100 homeowners and businesses to go solar by the end of the campaign.
• Track participant levels, media response, and evaluate overall project process.
• Research key community groups and potential partners in South Seattle.
• Research key media outlets and neighborhood news sources in South Seattle.
• Work with community volunteers to identify, organize, and support outreach and marketing efforts.
• Assist with development of public messaging, outreach materials, press releases, and other documentation to support campaign.
• Assist with delivery of 5 Solarize workshops and numerous outreach events.
• Update the Solarize Washington website (www.solarizewa.org) to better meet the needs of web users.
• Regularly communicate with community volunteers and program participants.
• Organize face to face meetings and online coordination with community groups, solar installers, and Seattle City Light.
• Excellent writing and public speaking skills
• Self-directed, detail oriented and able to prioritize multiple tasks
• Proven ability to successfully engage with diverse audiences
• Proficiency with MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Strong interest in clean energy issues and solar photovoltaics in particular
• Experience working with volunteers and/or grassroots organizing
• Experience working, living, or volunteering in South Seattle neighborhoods a plus
• Graphic design skills a plus
• Web design skills a plus
• Opportunities to network within the industry
• Hands on experience working with team of clean energy experts
• A fun office environment with an energetic staff
This internship is an unpaid, part-time position based in Northwest SEED’s downtown office beginning May 1st, 2013 – September 30th, 2013. A small stipend may be available, contingent on grant funding. A commitment of 15 hours per week is desired. The intern will also be expected to assist with and attend 4-5 public workshops to be held on weeknights or weekends. Travel to South Seattle neighborhoods will be required.
Please email cover letter, resume, 2 page writing sample, and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30th with “solarize internship” as the subject line. No phone calls please. Position remains open until filled.